Tuesday, June 11, 2002

What is the difference between discipline and punishment? What is the purpose of each and when should they be used?

Update [06/16/2002 17:45]:

Discipline is learning the "right" way to do things and doing them that way. Punishment is what is received when discipline is not achieved. That is a simplistic way of looking at it, but true all the same.

Discipline is what is asked of a submissive in order that he or she avoid punishment. Punishment is, in my opinion, detrimental to most relationships. Let me explain. Does not a puppy learn good behavior quicker with positive reinforcement than with negative? Why would we apply these principles to training an animal and assume that the human animal is any different.

Physical punishment, for me, is likely to be entirely counter-productive. If you hurt me because you're angry over my behavior, you lose all credibility with me. Psychological punishment, however, usually has a better result. Nothing hurt me more than to think I had disappointed my Sir. Although I will add to this that the silent treatment is NEVER effective where I am concerned. If you don't speak to me, how can we fix our problems? Silence only gives me time to make things worse by thinking and assuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment