Friday, June 21, 2002

A matter of perspective

This thread came up on DsKiosk. The following is just my rambling on the subject.

Every experience we have ever had has created a pathway in our brain. If those experiences were more negative than positive, the pathways become clogged with that negativity. It is difficult, sometimes even impossible, to change those pathways once they are etched, but if you are willing to acknowledge the damage you might be doing to yourself by continuing to fill the pathway with negative thoughts and memories, you are on the path to changing and at least neutralizing the pathway. 
It's all a matter of perspective. Is that not true of WIITWD? How many times have we seen people shudder as they witnessed something we wished the Dominant were doing to us? How many of our own pathways were changed by a Dominant or submissive who showed us the idea from a different angle? 
I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a masochist. However, I have learned to give myself over to my Sir who is a sadist. While I may not enjoy every moment of a sadistic scene, I am given pleasure through pleasing him, hearing his praise and laying in his arms at the end. By the same token, I have shattered many of his preconceived notions of what a submissive is like. I am married and love my husband...something my Sir has not encountered in previous submissives. I enjoy sensual play and really enjoy spending long periods just touching Him...something no other submissive has done for him. I am not the type of submissive who has to be beaten into submission, nor do i give up my brain when I wear a collar. 
Each experience, each relationship, each day we live, our perspective is changed. It's good to be open to see when something that was once harsh and painful can be neutralized and move forward past it.

No comments:

Post a Comment