Tuesday, July 2, 2002

Disturbing


Something happened yesterday and I'm a bit worried about it.

I was online last night about the time I thought JD might be on when I got an im from someone whose screen name I didn't recognize. Now I have my Yahoo set so that im's from people not on my friends list show up in a box all together rather than in individual im windows. That means I can always tell when someone is or is not on my list. This screen name wasnt.

This person buzzed me first and then typed a one liner that sounded like JD. I asked who it was and then went to look at the profile. Everything matched up with this screen name being JD, but the person denied my attempt to add them to my friends list and then disappeared.

I waited a while for the person to respond and then called JD. He was home and told me it wasn't him because he hadn't been online. He'd been sleeping. I accepted that...took him at his word...and then set to wondering who it was. He asked for the screen name and the link to the profile so I sent him both. He then went online and talked to me via his screen name for a bit.

Apparently his mother was online and was nagging him about something so he asked if I could call him. He got off the computer and I called.

To make what has become a long story a little bit shorter...the screen name WAS him. He'd clicked the wrong choice when he im'd me. He claims he was planning to tell me about this screen name and the information on the profile slowly because he wasn't sure how I would respond to it. He also told me he had been planning to go online and change something in the profile to make a joke of him not admitting it was him, but the interruption from his mother made that not possible.

The problem is, he lied to me. I am not at all upset about the information revealed on the profile...I'm devastated that he lied to me. I tried to explain that to him last night, but he got defensive about the information and I ended up reassuring him that the information wasn't the problem and wouldn't be a problem as long as he was honest with me.

How do I trust him? How do I know what he's saying is the truth when he would lie to me about something as trivial as a screen name? I don't know what to do at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment