Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Courtesy--The Lost Art

I do realize that because of things like 50 Shades of Crap and CCSI and other versions of mainstreaming what we do there are a lot of new people in the scene. However, "newness" does not excuse a lack of courtesy and respect for other members of your community.

For example:

1. You're tired. You see that the only place to sit down and smoke your cigarette is a table clearly marked, "No Smoking." Do you A) tough it out and suck your cancer stick while standing next to the rest of the smokers or B) plop your ashtray right on top of the no smoking sign on the table and puff away, oblivious to the people who are seated at the other non-smoking table or C) join the other non-smoking table and not only puff away, but do so in a way that blows smoke directly at the non-smokers who were seated at the table before you arrived?

2. You see two people having a conversation. They are separated by a reasonable amount of space (close enough to talk, not so close as to have to sit in each other's laps). Do you, A) Excuse yourself to the people speaking to one another and slip past them to converse with someone sitting near them, B) repeatedly step between the two people so they have an excellent view of your ass, but cannot continue to converse unless they are willing to talk without seeing one another or C) set up a location between the two speakers, after they have been speaking for some time, that requires people to constantly step between the speakers to get to you?

If you answered B AND C to both questions, you would have had my experience at a lifestyle event this evening. Not only was I subjected to repeated bouts of smoke blowing around me and at me from all sides, despite sitting at the non-smoking tables, but because of where one of the smokers sat, people continued to step between me and the person I was attempting to talk to, often without a single thought of what they were interrupting when they did it.

Part of being in service that I have always prided myself on is situational awareness. Being aware of what is going on around me and what others are doing, in addition to observing the normal rules of courtesy and respect would have meant had I done any of what I witnessed this evening, I would have deserved the epic beating any of my former owners would have dished out.

I'm not insisting anyone live by my "protocols" or expectations, except for one. Be courteous and respectful and if someone is in service to you and they fail in those two areas, don't ignore it.

</rant>

No comments:

Post a Comment