Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Smacked between the eyes

Smacked between the eyes
I knew that the last owner hadn't read my books. What I didn't realize was that he was so unaware of who I am that he wasn't even aware of my pen name.
Today, this person posted on a FetLife board asking about the Servant's Escape weekend. I messaged him privately to point out that he could have asked me the question or read the website to get the information he asked for on the board. He called me later, to "clear up any misunderstanding." Fine. Whatever.
The worst of the phone call was that he actually said, "I'm not familiar with the person running the event." The website has my pen name on it and A PICTURE OF ME.
It always hurt me when he and I were together that he didn't care to read my books. Now I wonder if he ever heard anything I actually said. How could you be involved with me and not know my pen name? How could you be involved with me and not read what I write about the kind of relationship we have?
I spent a few hours on the phone the other night talking with a friend. She ordered me not to ever again settle for a relationship in favor of waiting for "the" relationship. I agreed that I will not settle again. I deserve so much more than what I've settled for in the past.
She also helped me more clearly see how what I write and what I share through teaching in the community is service, and valuable service at that. I will not hide behind modesty any longer. Nor will I fade into the woodwork. I will learn to be a better self promoter if for no other reason than because others deserve to benefit from my service to the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment